A lot of people want to own a German Shepherd for various reasons, from better security down to smart dogs to love. However, one thing a lot of people tend to ask is about their training, asking me, “are German Shepherds hard to train?” Being one of the top three most intelligent dogs, there’s no doubt that they’re easier to be with, BUT there are some factors to consider.
If you want to learn more about the German Shepherd and training them, then read on! I did the research to help you know more about how to properly train your dog.
Table of Contents
Are German Shepherds Hard to Train?
When you think of a German Shepherd, you immediately feel that they are tall, serious, strong, and well-behaved. After all, they’re a part of the police force and also used as service dogs, so they’ve got to be easy to train and take care of, right?
That’s actually true! German Shepherds are extremely intelligent dogs and are diligent, based on their history and build. Let’s take a look at how they were born and raised in the past years.
The History Of German Shepherd Behavior
This dog breed originated from Germany, existing since the late 19th century and bred specifically to herd and watch over cattle. Because of their role, they needed sharp attention and great work ethic, along with determination and intelligence, as they need to gather cattle using precise methods through specific training.
From this, these dogs were bred to train, to listen and search, as well as respond quickly and smartly from any action. That’s why they’re such great dogs for the police and army.
With all that being said, German Shepherds require more exercise and attention with those they’re around with. Besides that, their determination and hardworking attitude have them want to focus on their job and excel, following orders from their owner because of their ancestral roots. Their ease of training and determination really runs in the blood!
Take Note, Though!
However, there are some factors to consider with German Shepherd training, as all dogs, despite sharing the same breed, are NOT the same. If you are not responsible enough to brian your German Shepherd well as an owner, then chances are that your dog will grow to be more independent and rowdy because of it, making it difficult to train and condition his mind.
Furthermore, if you don’t give them enough training or attention, most likely they’ll be inclined to do reckless habits because of their huge strength and energy. That’s why you need to focus on not just giving him food, but love, attention, and the leadership he needs to maintain a happy household. I’ll be showing you some tips down below!
Quick Training Tips
German Shepherds are actually quite easy to train as long as you know how to go about it. With that being said, how can you properly train your puppy to become a diligent and smart German Shepherd to love? Here are some helpful tips to follow:
- Like mentioned, German Shepherds want attention and stimulation. Outside their training, make sure that they get as much love and attention they deserve, as well as designated walks and playtime. This has them stay loving and loyal besides them being hardworking and strong.
- It’s best to start training once they’re two months old, the earliest time you can begin training safely and properly. Start off with very simple commands and potty training, which helps them understand even more complex commands as they grow older.
- Set short and frequent training schedules rather than long ones that happen once a week. This conditions their minds and helps them grow every day without it being too taxing on their minds and bodies.
- Always reward your German Shepherd with treats and praises when they do a good job! Avoid hitting or abusing as a form of punishment, but do stay stern and firm with your voice if they do something wrong.
- When training your dog, don’t try to be an alpha dog or huge leader/boss. Instead, be a loving parent, which are what real alphas do for their pack.
For more information on training your German Shepherd, here’s a video to help you out:
Wrapping It Up
German Shepherds are one of the most intelligent dog breeds around, but you also have to continue honing their mind through proper training. As long as you show who’s boss and continue to train your German Shepherd the right way now. It’s easy to do, just be patient and stay consistent and your dog will become diligent and loving for years to come.
I hope that this article answers your question, “are German Shepherds hard to train?” Now that you’re familiar with training your dog, start looking into more ways to hone their mind now.