If you own a German Shepherd, then you probably already know just how smart and diligent they can be! After all, you can’t expect anything lower than one of the main breeds of police dogs. But why are German Shepherds so smart in the first place?
German Shepherds are incredibly intelligent even at such a young age, but they do require extensive truing in order to sharpen their mind. So if you’re wondering about the German Shepherd’s mental power and how to continue training them well, read on! I’ll be talking all about these dog breeds and how smart they can be.
Why Are German Shepherds So Smart?
Did you know that the average dog has the mental ability of a two-year-old? That actually sits an amazing feat, considering that a dog can learn up to 165 words, as well as signals and gestures like a toddler. But this is only considering the fact that this is your average dog we’re talking about!
While a dog can match two-year-olds in language, they can actually be smarter than four-year-olds in basic arithmetic. Furthermore, dogs are also smarter than a toddler social-wise as they act like human teenagers who want to move up in the pack.
Dogs that belong to the top 20% of the smartest breeds can actually learn up to 250 words or more. Who’s the smartest? The German Shepherd belongs to the top three smartest dog breeds, with the mental capability of a 2.5-year-old.
Many dog experts agree that the German Shepherd isn’t only the most intelligent, but also a very trainable dog. That’s because they have such a fast and retentive memory, which helps them understand and remember words that are important throughout training, as well as the tricks they learn from you.
Their intelligence comes from the older days of their ancestors, as intelligence was needed as working dogs in the field, specifically in shepherding. After all, a dog will require the sharpness and attentiveness, as well as the logic to watch out for their herd.
While shepherding (hence, the name!) isn’t a popular job as it was before, German Shepherds still have the same mind and are more focused on their owner, making them smart protectors, too.
Furthermore, these dogs were (and still are) a part of the police, also working as service workers. These K9 dogs have been a part of the police force and army as bomb sniffers, protectors, even as mercy dogs to bring first aid to soldiers. Besides being such intelligent breeds in noble professions, they are also easily trained for acting and are part of the silver screen because of their skill.
Training a German Shepherd
Now that you know why German Shepherds are so smart, how can you train yours to hone their mind and body? Here are some excellent tips to follow:
- I highly recommend that you begin training as early as possible, but not immediately after they’re born! It’s best to begin socializing with your dog as a puppy so they’re able to understand what’s normal and right. They’ll also learn not to be fearful of things and people, so allow them to interact and meet with people and animals as you can.
- It’s completely possible to train your German Shepherd even without the obedience classes. Start off with basic obedience training, teaching them the basic commands such as SIT and STAY. Give these commands only once and repeat only if he doesn’t get it right the first time.
- When giving commands, use your normal tone of voice. Reward them for every good deed done by saying “YES” in happy voices, to be followed with praises and/or a small treat. For bad behavior, be patient but talk to him sternly until he understands what he did wrong, but do NOT spank or hit your dog!
- Besides training, let your dog have fun and provide the outlet for their energies. Walking, playing in the park, and even spending time with fellow dogs is a good way to help them become more social and spend more energy.
- Be patient while training and also map sure that your dog feels that he’s a part of the family! You’re training him to be a part of your family, so love them as much as you would your kin and they’ll live for long filled with loyalty and love.
To learn more about training German Shepherds, check out this informative video:
Wrapping It Up
German Shepherds are some of the most interesting and smartest breeds around. Considering their origins and the heavy training they go through as puppies, you can see why they’re such an intelligent and protective breed that deserves recognition. It’s what makes them such an excellent dog breed to own!
Hopefully, this article answers your question, “why are German Shepherds so smart?” Now that you know the answer, learn more about this cool dog breed now!