The reliable preservation of grain stocks is the primary task of agriculture. Stock pests cause huge losses for agriculture and are a constant problem for granaries, flour mills, and bakeries. Insects that damage grain stocks: barn and rice weevils, flour beetles, pea and bean weevils, grain grinders, Suriname flour beetles, grain moths, firefly, flour mites, and others:
- Reduce seed germination.
- Contaminate bread stocks with wastes of their vital activity.
- Worsen the quality of grain.
- Reduce its weight.
- Control measures against bread stock pests.
- Bread stock infested by pests becomes unfit for food.
- In the process of evolution, pests have well adapted to live in grain storages, which makes it difficult to eradicate and control them.
Control of grain crop pests includes:
Prophylactic measures are provided by proper maintenance of the room, where bread stock should be kept: keeping cleanliness in it, maintenance of optimum temperature and humidity, cleaning of storage before placing new crops there, and correct location of bread stock in storage.Extermination measures are carried out if pests of stocks are already found in the granary, control measures in such a case include:
- Finding the breeding ground of pests, determining their species composition.
- Mechanical cleaning of seeds by sifting (or their thermal treatment).
- Disinfecting grain and empty stores with chemicals by fumigation or aerosol spraying.
- When choosing a treatment and protection method, the species composition of the pests should be taken into account, as well as the peculiarities of the premises where the stocks are stored.
The advantage of fumigation is its high penetration capacity. Fumigation is used when the premises are sufficiently airtight and distant from housing and farms (at least 50 m). Fumigation in empty rooms is usually carried out at temperatures not lower than +12° when pests are in an active state. If tablets with insecticide are placed in grain, a chemical reaction with the release of disinfecting gas occurs upon contact with air moisture. The remaining gray powder is removed from the seeds by separation. Aerosol disinfestation is used for unsealed rooms infested with dangerous pest species.
Grain pest control using aerosol insecticides
The use of the latest aerosol insecticides is a way to protect grain crops, proven highly effective. Modern aerosol preparations are designed both for treating grain and for treating unloaded warehouses and grain storage.
Before spraying with aerosol clean the room thoroughly to ensure the best contact with the preparation. The working fluid is covered with insect habitats: floors, walls, ceilings, frames, cracks, and crevices. As well as all storage equipment and containers, because these places may hide pests or store their eggs. To be more reliable, spray the outside walls of the building and the surrounding area.
Often when I come to the cottage I notice pests and immediately call Ehrlich Pest Control, because they are professionals and can easily get rid of pests without problems. You can deal with pests yourself, but it’s better to call the right service because they know how to do it properly.