Cats and dogs can develop some severe heart problems due to heredity or old age. But, CBD oil may help to improve the health of your four-legged friend.
Studies also show the effectiveness of CBD oil for dogs and cats with heart diseases. That’s because mammals have the same endocannabinoid system as humans.
CBD oil consumption regularly can delay the onset of heart diseases or avoid them altogether. Here’s all you may want to know in this regard.
Table of Contents
Types of Heart Diseases in Dogs and Cats
Dogs typically have congenital heart diseases. It means the condition is present at the birth of the animal. The common types of cardiovascular issues in dogs include dilated cardiomyopathy, valve diseases, and heart murmurs. While dilated cardiomyopathy leads to enlarged heart muscles, heart murmurs cause irregular blood flow, and defective valves may lead to blood leaks.
The common heart diseases in cats are hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, where the left ventricle is thickened, and congestive heart failure causes strain on the muscles and valves.
What are the Symptoms of Poor Heart Health in Dogs and Cats?
In a study at the University of Florida, researchers found that symptoms of hereditary or congenital heart diseases appear at a young age. However, the symptoms of the weak heart may show in older age when your pet acquires the condition.
In either of these cases, it is essential to identify the symptoms in earlier stages to prevent further complications. The symptoms may be:
- Depression- If your dog starts showing signs of withdrawal or depression, it is time to take action and consult a vet.
- Breathing Difficulties- Sometimes, the dogs and cats make noises when breathing, or they may have difficulty breathing. If this happens, it may indicate developing heart disease.
- Lethargy- While pets are forever active and playful, weakness or tiredness is a strong indicator of an impending heart problem.
- Over-Drinking of Water- If your pet is drinking more water than its usual consumption, it may be due to dehydration or early signs of heart problems.
- Irregular Bowel Movement- When cats and dogs get diarrhea, it can be an early symptom of poor heart health.
How Can CBD Oil Help with Heart Diseases in Cats and Dogs
CBD or cannabidiol oil is a compound extracted from the cannabis plant. It regulates the endocannabinoid system in the mammals and maintains homeostasis. Studies show that hemp oil may not directly interact with the heart, but it has the potential to improve overall heart health in several ways.
CBD enhances 2-AG and Anandamide endocannabinoids in the body. While Anandamide is related to CB1 receptors in the brain to facilitate neurological functions, 2-AG binds to CB2 receptors that affect the immunity.
By affecting both these endocannabinoids, CBD oil helps to reduce damage to the blood vessels when the blood pressure goes high. Even when the blood pressure is low, CBD oil for dogs and cats helps to facilitate neuroprotective functions to minimize the damage.
For improving the heart health of your pet, you can use CBD oil in the form of tinctures, pills, or treats after talking to your vet about the right dosage.